Phoebe's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Drive by Daniel H. Pink

Jul 08, 10

Only the first chapter is necessary. The rest is repetitious and filled with soon-to-be-obsolete computer metaphors.

However, I've been thinking a lot about this book since I read it (a few weeks ago?), so two stars was perhaps a stingy rating. Everywhere I go lately, I see examples of poorly-designed systems, destined to kill people's intrinsic motivation.

I recently read "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn. Kohn's premise is basically that rewarding and punishing children for acting in certain ways only gives them extrinsic motivations to behave how you want and will therefore interfere with their moral development. It makes perfect sense to me that, if the reason a kid shares his toy is because he's after a sticker, he hasn't really learned about generosity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

EeeJay EXACTLY what I thought! The first chapter hits you with a BAM and then it's just repetition...I kept reading in hopes of finding something like it but didn't happen...*sigh*

Jonathan I share the same thoughts about this book.

I kept reading to find more nuggets of information, only to find more of the same.

Expected more.