Raina's Reviews > The Masque of the Black Tulip

The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig

Mar 03, 2011

Read in February, 2010

OK, you've heard of the Scarlet Pimpernel and all that mess in France, right? Well, the Pink Carnation picks up where the Pimpernel stopped (due to the discovery of his identity). At the same time in the story, but taking place in the present there is a grad student finding decedents of the Pink Carnation with letters from and about that time in history.

If the story plot sounds complicated, it really isn't. While it jumps around, pulling you from character to character, making you wonder who might be a spy, the real story centers around this complicated relationship and emotional dance between Henrietta and Miles. Although you realize there is a spy story going on, the tension mainly focuses on the misunderstandings and social pressures between the two love birds.

As with the last story, there is a good deal of romance involved in the story, but isn't developed until the later part of the novel. In this particular installment, there seemed to be less storytelling done from the present, which I actually missed...strangely enough. I have been curious about Eloise, and can sense that she has developed feelings for the man who's family owns the journals she is reading. Honestly, I did want a bit more from the present, and grew to care a little more about our grad student. For some reason, now that she has uncovered the story behind The Pink Carnation, I wanted to know more about what Eloise was going to do with her story, and hope to get more in the novels that follow!

I just ADORE this series and I can hardly wait for the next installment!! This second book leaves you with a bit of a cliffhanger with Eloise, and dropped Henrietta and Miles a bit, even though you knew they were all right and happy. There is a certain playfulness to these stories that just makes me smile and laugh, and I enjoy following along to see how the spies will catch their enemy, and how their female spy love interest will help them. These really are fun stories to follow as they unfold, and while you could probably read them individually I strongly suggest reading them in order. Having knowledge of the previous story really allows you to dive in deep!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masque of the Black Tulip.

message 1: by Ivonne (new)

Ivonne Rovira The Pink Carnation is one of the many -- too many! -- books I'm meaning to read. Thanks for the review.