Rebekah's Reviews > Mona Lisa Overdrive

Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson

Jan 04, 2010

Read in December, 2006

Really this is not new for him, but it has been a while since I read some of his work. This time I experienced Mona Lisa Overdrive. The story jumps between about 4 or 5 folks and they slowly coalesce to a single plot. A plot that mirrors the drug induced state of some of his characters. The future ideal of sensory immersion was interesting. I don’t know if I ever really understood some of the biosoft and microsoft technologies, but then again I think some of it was meant to just be understood as future tech. Geography also played with me Sprawl and London and New Jersey. I am lucky to know that some of these places might exist in both Great Britain and US, but I can only assume that travel was just assumed to be different and faster. Or perhaps eventually the continents just sort of flowed into each other.
The story was very dynamic. I felt like I was drawn into it pulled along and sometimes pushed from plot element to plot element. Even the characters I couldn’t visualize well because they are outside reality were dynamic enough to create a world for them to exist in.
We had the prostitute formed to look like the starlet, who was fresh from detox and still hearing voices and missing her lost love, who was (we find eventually) holed up in a wasteland piped into a AI construct. The Japanese mob princess lets us, through her discoveries, find out the exposition to explain why all this nonsense was going on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mona Lisa Overdrive.