UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...'s Reviews > The Texan's Wager

The Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas

Be my wife, all my life.

That’s all that Carter McKoy asked of Bailee Moore, the woman who would become his wife if he won the Wife Lottery. That wasn’t too much to hope for, was it? And in truth, he didn’t even expect his name to be chosen. After all, there were probably 40 men waiting, hoping to be one of only three names drawn in the lottery, and Carter’s life had been anything but lucky. So why expect that to change now? Well, much to his surprise - and dismay, things were about to start looking up. And I thank Sheriff Riley for his part in that.

I’ve come to realize that if I don’t connect with the hero, if I don’t become invested in him as a person, and if I don’t feel like he’s overcome some… some… something in his life, the story never quite makes it to 5 stars. The poor heroine could go through hell and back and it won’t mean much to me unless the hero is amazing and has done the same.

The Texan’s Wager is a fast paced, comfortable read – easy, but not dumbed down. It isn’t a deep, dark tale, nor is it the most amazing writing I’ve ever come across. But what it is, is a really sweet story with the key ingredients for a 5 star read.

Tormented hero – Check!
Great heroine – Check!
Believable, gut wrenching and heartwarming storyline – Check!
A happily ever after with a heroine worthy of the hero - Check!

I wish I could tell all about Carter, but to do so would take too much away from the story, because his past is told in small bits and pieces beginning with his very sad childhood right up to the present time. But I will say that this man, this Carter McKoy who very seldom talks, speaks volumes with this actions and he now holds a place of honor on my Top Heroes shelf.

For those of you who might be wondering about the steam factor in this book, while there’s plenty of passion there is very little, if any, descriptive sex. But trust me when I say that the story didn’t suffer for it at all, in fact, this is one of the rare instances when I feel that the story wouldn’t have been nearly as sweet if there had been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Texan's Wager.

01/23/2011 "Read for February Challenges."
01/27/2011 page 336
100.0% ""Be my wife, all my life."" 22 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Another Jodi Thomas fan. :-) I've been searching for her older books. I'm totally hooked after reading To Wed in Texas.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Karen wrote: "Another Jodi Thomas fan. :-) I've been searching for her older books. I'm totally hooked after reading To Wed in Texas."

I haven't read her yet, but wow, the books look good! I've been buying a few out of print books (by several different authors) through half.com, eBay, and archive books.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Hope this is good! I have been trying to find a historical romance series to get into. Do you have any suggestions?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Laura, I'm drawing a blank right now. Check out my shelves. I'm doing better about organizing. I have things listed by genre and series, too.

I just started the Blood Sword series, and book 1 was pretty good. They aren't fluffy reads, and I've only read the one so far, but i definitely plan to continue.

Master of Surrender (Blood Sword Legacy, #1) by Karin Tabke Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2) by Karin Tabke Master of Craving (Blood Sword Legacy, #3) by Karin Tabke

Cheryl I've always wanted to read this... glad you enjoyed it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, D. Great review!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thank you! I really did enjoy it, Danielle. :)

Ally72 Great review, Dhes! I totally agree with you about everything and this book was all about the passion.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thank you, Ally! As soon as I finished this one, I ordered the rest of the series from eBay. I'm looking forward to reading them all!

Ronyell Awesome review UM!!! This book was just so awesome!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Thanks, Ronyell! Yep, it was all kinds of awesome. I was in love with Carter before his name had even been drawn!

Ronyell Yeah!! Carter was such an awesome character, even though he didn't say much.

message 13: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth I loved this book. I've also been collecting books by Jodi Thomas, but this remains one of my faves..

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm glad to hear it, Ruth. Are they all similar in writing and such?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Ruth, this is my fave, but my second fave by her is Two Texas Hearts. Two sighworthy heroes, but very different.

Dhestiny, I think that Jodi Thomas has a characteristic writing style, but I feel that her books are not all the same. She has realistic characters, good humor, and serious western action. Her romances are very sweet, and some of the books are steamier in the love scenes than others. I don't know if that answers your question.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yep, it surely does! Thanks, Lady D!

Lisa Kay Well, Dhestiny. You were right again. I LOVED this book. I've become a Jodi Thomas fan. Great review, BTW. I debated about discussing Carter in my review and finally just put a hint under a spoiler. Thanks for the rec.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... You're very welcome!! And thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the review and thrilled that you loved the book. Carter is amazing, isn't he? I need to read the next books, too.

So many books, so little time! LOL

Zumbagirl Thank you for this review, Dhes!! I'm totally fine with passion w/o graphic sex. Some readers are looking for clean reads.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... You're welcome, and I completely agree! Somedays I just want a romantic, passionate story without the graphic descriptions.