Caroline's Reviews > Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide

Chickens In Your Backyard by Rick Luttmann

Jan 04, 2010

Read in December, 2009

Since we bought our home, I've been very interested in keeping a few chickens for eggs, garden fertilization, and general cuteness. I think ruffled featherbutts are so cute!

This is the first of a few books I've acquired to school myself in the art of raising chickens and I've found it to be quite informative and accessible. For instance, did you know that eggs shoot out of the same chickenhole that the droppings come out of? And that they're enveloped in a fancy damp membrane that dries almost instantly after laying and serves to protect the egg from all the germies in the outside world?

I'm a bit concerned about this whole coop thing, though. I want the eggs to be easily accessible and the coop to be sheltered from cold/wind, however I don't want the stink adjacent to my house. I'd rather use that space for a hot tub (like that's going to happen anytime soon!). This book tells me that free-ranging the birds in my yard may not be the best idea, although I'm hoping this is the alarmist overprotective version of chicken advice and that some of these other books will give me a realistic picture that coincides with what I want to hear. We'll see about that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chickens In Your Backyard.

message 1: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Foster My grandma raises chickens, (and so does Jenny's neighbors) and the coop is very important, even here in missouri. Missouri is home to many birds of prey that enjoy a night time snack of defenseless chickens ^_^ and I think I remember Jenny telling me that her neighbors lost a chicken to a bird of prey because it was in the coop.

Chicken coops aren't all that smelly, much better then horse stalls in fact! But you might visit a chicken coop to see, or smell, for yourself. The coop is really only important at night, where the chickens can hide to feel safe.

Did you know that some chickens lay blue and green eggs that have lower levels of fat and cholesterol? Though my favorite are the silkies becasue their soft and cute.

Caroline Ariel, I think you are my chicken guru! I think silkies are super-cute, too! We haven't really begun our chicken-type research yet... Let me reassure you that we will definitely have a coop, I just really want them to be able to meander around the yard during the day when I'm home. I want to frolic with the chickens!!! Is your grandma nearby? And if and when we're ready, could we buy some chicks from her?