Amanda's Reviews > Firefly Summer

Firefly Summer by Maeve Binchy

Feb 15, 10

Read in February, 2010

Typical Maeve Binchy book; lots of characters set is a small Irish town in the 1950s. It takes about 200 pages to finally get into all the major characters, but once I got there I was hooked.

Its the story about how an American (Patrick O'Reilly), his two children, and his Jewish mistress come to a small town and buy an old mansion that has long since burned to the ground and has been a staple for the town. Once there he tears down the ruins and starts building a luxury hotel where American tourists can come and experience town life in Ireland.

Many of the characters have never been outside of Ireland, or even visited Dublin and the thought of tourists from America coming to their small town is both exciting and terrifying to them. Throughout the course of the book the reader starts to feel deeply for the main characters, Kate and John Ryan, who with there 4 children run the local pub which is close to the hotel. Their lives will be the most affected by the new hotel, and they were.

There are many other characters that are also very captivating.

It took me a while to get through this book but it was definitely worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Summer.