Donna Jo Atwood's Reviews > The Hearts of Horses

The Hearts of Horses by Molly Gloss

1925476
Jan 06, 10

bookshelves: 2009-10-winter-challenge, animals, family, fiction, historical-fiction, horses, world-war-i-fiction, audio-book
Recommended to Donna Jo by: Lorie Hyten
Read in January, 2010

This is an absolutely amazing book. It takes place over a six month period from the fall of 1917 through the spring of 1918 in cattle country in Oregon. It's a wonderful story of a shy young woman, more at home with horses than people, who comes into the valley to offer to break horses for various farmers and ranchers. And, of course, it is the story of those ranchers and farmers that she meets.
Even with the background of the war and of the surfacing of human meanness, this is a gentle book--and a fun one.
Many of the characters reminded me of family and friends I grew up with--after all, my grandfather still used horses on his farm in a limited way before he moved off the farm in the early 1950s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hearts of Horses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (new)

Lorie I can't believe it! I think this may be the first time we both feel the same way about a book! I am so glad you read this one, and liked it...hey, does this mean I am 2 for 2? Avatar AND this book?

Donna Jo Atwood And we both liked Water for Elephants. Pretty soon we'll be twins.

message 3: by Lorie (new)

Lorie hmmm. I think it unlikely. LOL

message 4: by Gayle (new) - added it

Gayle Great review, Donna Jo. I just finished Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel and loved it. I love books with settings during WWI and WWII, so this looks like one I should try.

message 5: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista Okay, now I have another book to add to my list. This sounds wonderful, especialy since I'm an Oregonian! I put great store by your reviews Donna Jo, you've been spot on for my tastes so far!!