Vicki's Reviews > The Secret History

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Jan 04, 10

bookshelves: audible, walked-out-in-the-middle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Clotfelter This is a really good book. I read it years ago and it haunted me for a long time!

message 2: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki I've gotten so many recommendations on this one, I need to just make some time to read it.

message 3: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki I think I may have made a mistake in trying to listen to the audiobook of this--it may just not be suited to that format. For one thing, the author did the reading, and I think a professional narrator would have presented it better. But it may just be a book that goes down better through the eyes. At any rate, the protagonist hadn't been in that exclusive class for too long before I realized I wanted to slap everyone in the book, except maybe that ridiculous Judy person, who was at least amusing. Life's too short, and my TBR stack too high, so I'm moving on.

Kerry I wanted to slap all of them repeatedly. But reading it with eyeballs let me enjoy some lovely prose . . . still, not the greatest choice of reads.

message 5: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki I'm glad it wasn't just me! I read it on the advice of a reading buddy who adored it, and I hated that I couldn't share in her biblio-love in this case. Ah, well--that occasionally happens with the best of reading buddies.

Valerie I read this book several years ago and, like Pat, found it haunting. (I had flashbacks to that book when my son was considering a college in a cold climate!) I can't say it's one of my favorites, though.

message 7: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki The college was based on Tartt's alma mater, as I recall--I think it was Bennington. (TLTG) To be fair, I found her voice on the audio to be rather grating, which definitely had an impact on my enjoyment. It's rare that a fiction author reads his/her own work in audio format, and probably with good reason.