Rebekah's Reviews > The Quilter's Apprentice

The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini

Jan 04, 10

Read in June, 2007

I had actually started the next in the Historical Romance series, but since this book was destined to go back to the library soon, I thought I should give it a read, and darn it if it didn’t take a day to go through. Yippy for fast good reads. Jennifer Chiaverini wrote The Quilter’s Apprentice as a gift to the quilter’s she has known. The only thing I would ask for is pictures of the patterns she talks about as chapter graphics or something. This book is best for long time quilter’s who can visualize what she means when she say, something like log cabin quilt, but as a beginner myself. I can’t just imagine what she is saying.
The story is quaint and a little dated...everyone keeps going out to use a car phone. I am sure she had to shop this novel around till the resurgence of “womanly crafts” caused sympathy from Simon and Schuster to publish it. The main character Sarah is searching for meaning and a new career path. Her husband has moved her to a small town and she is flailing about to find work when she lands a short term job working for a crotchety old lady. Sarah peels back the rough layers of the woman’s story and finds the soul beneath and helps her heal. It is nice and sweet and somehow less saccharine than Debbie Macomber’s knitting novels. The historical nature to the story helped keep this one grounded. The character had a past that led her to where she is today. That past grounded in a family history and tragedy and also surrounded her art.
The only thing that led it astray was at the end when the main character finds a purpose to the house they are restoring and that is a quilting school Logically I would say it needed to be a bed and breakfast. Offer classes or special quilter’s weekends, but to imagine a small town in Pennsylvania can support a small artisan school for quilter’s is a bit far fetched. But if one is reaching why not go to the stars. I can’t wait to finish the Historical Romance novel so I can dip back into this fantasy world. Any maybe look for a quilting project.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quilter's Apprentice.