Nate's Bookgroup's Reviews > A Good and Happy Child

A Good and Happy Child by Justin Evans

M_50x66
Jan 03, 10

Read in April, 2009

Yeah, I could just sum up the book by saying that the narrator was possessed by a demon as a boy, but after finishing the book I realize its not that simple. This book could have gone capital S Spooky and explained the strange incidents of George, the narrator's, boyhood with some remarkable evidence proving the demon in question existed, but the author decided to leave it as a big question mark. This book brought up some interesting questions: Do humans create Evil or does Evil exist outside of people? Where exactly is the line between Innocent by reason of insanity and a crime commited by passion? Is evil in humans nature or nurture? Are we too quick to turn off when someone is spouting a bunch of crazy?

Hmm. Should be a good book group conversation. I liked the narrative arc; I liked how layered the subject matter remained. I did not find myself going back and rereading passages to enjoy how they were written though, and that's usually how I determine good writing. Good solid storytelling, not great in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good and Happy Child.