Corey Rowe's Reviews > The New American Militarism: How Americans are Seduced by War

The New American Militarism by Andrew J. Bacevich

U 50x66
Jan 03, 2010

Read in October, 2009

this dude manages to blame everybody from carter to reagan, evangelists to flower children, neocons and bleeding libs-and somehow stays true to his claims that he is a conservative. but best of all, after telling us why we suck (and proving very well that we do) he offers solutions that can't be labeled as unrealistic/idealistic. he's ex-military. ppl say he's jaded because his son was killed in iraq, check your dates and grow some sympathy, his son died 2 years after publication. he's just smart, and understands that america's military has morphed into something that threatens our democracy more than any outside force. yeah, he blames everybody, but throughout he expresses that he's just trying to use history for what it's worth-to learn lessons from others' mistakes....not just attack for the sake of attacking. he's no holier than thou pacifist either-he believes in the need for military and the need to protect sovereignty and human rights....just not the need for 21st C interpretations of the monroe doctrine and american exceptionalism. obviously....me likey:) and since i am a bleeding heart lib, trust me that he must be good. .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New American Militarism.