Gail's Reviews > Murder Must Advertise

Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers

199326
Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: mystery, 2009, before-1986, revisited, physical-collection, old-favorite
Recommended for: lovers of mysteries, those interested in advertising or in life in Britain in the 20's and 30's

This is the best Wimsey book. A marvelously venomous send-up of the advertising world, still sickeningly applicable today, it has lots of biting wit and some compassion as well for those caught up in this silly little world. Wimsey's incarnations here...ad man, himself, evil man-about-town, and outstanding cricketer...are fascinating. One is so intrigued with the book that one doesn't notice that Wimsey can be, and sometimes is, soporifically perfect. Nevertheless, for fans of the literate mystery, this is a delight.

ETA: The occasional but all-too-casual bigotry does jar on the nerves.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Must Advertise.

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Mar 13, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Barbara Gail, terrific review! Have you seen any of the BBC series of Wimsey? They are light and whimsical, but I view Wimsey in these as rather a pompous effete!

Gail I saw the old PBS series with Ian Carmichael as Wimsey. He was foppish in "Murder must Advertise", but I don't know how it could have been played differently. Two much better outings were 'Clouds of Witness" and, I think, Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club". I thought Carmichael was an excellent choice for Lord Peter, who is a very odd and impossible character, even as much as I love him.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Agreed!

message 4: by CLM (new) - rated it 4 stars

CLM This is not my favorite by any means but you've made me want to reread it.