Lynn Tolson's Reviews > Everyday Grace

Everyday Grace by Marianne Williamson

Jan 03, 10

bookshelves: inspiration, spiritual-growth

In the introduction, Williamson urges the reader to go beyond being a seeker of the truth. She states that she wrote Everyday Grace as a "traveling companion for the modern mystic" who is on the journey of personal transformation. According to Williamson, "Our spiritual victory lies in rising above the mental forces of fear and limitation...thus attaining the power to heal and be healed." That appears to be the destiny when we embark on a journey as a mystic.

As with the other books written by Williamson, the depth and analysis of spirituality seems to have no limits within her words. She is infinitely a mystic who goes miles beyond her own learning to impart her knowledge to others. Her books are remarkably easy to read considering the complex spiritual concepts she shares. Or perhaps the concepts are not as complicated as they appear, and Williamson makes these concepts easy to understand. The exception reads like a philosophical riddle: "You are not pretending that something is not really happening, but only that it is not Really happening... [because:] only love is real."

Williamson is chagrined by the ambitions of humans on the material plane. She urges readers to live more in the "realm of divine understanding" and be less attached to the worldly objectives of career, competition, and capitalism.

Throughout the book, Williamson offers definitions for words used often in spiritual journeys, such as "enlightenment" which she says is: "being in touch with where we are and being willing to learn what God would have us learn from it." According to Williamson, "anything negative that happens has only one purpose; to foster compassion in the human heart." When we understand that principle, we are well on our journey toward transformation from fear to love. Williamson would like to see "our generation turn love into a social force" that experiences active compassion for the suffering.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in delving into the principles of a spiritual journey. I read and re-read Marianne Williamson as often as possible, always learning something else with each reading. Review completed by Lynn C. Tolson, author of Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everyday Grace.