Karen's Reviews > The Wise Woman

The Wise Woman by Philippa Gregory

F_50x66
Jan 06, 10

Read in January, 2010

This book is remarkable only in its utter awfulness.

I've read probably half a dozen of Gregory's books and have always enjoyed them. Usually fun, fluffy, and easy-to-read, her books serve as a nice palate cleanser after a particularly intense read. This one, however, left a decidedly bad taste in my mouth. I honestly believe that Gregory must have been going through some sort of crisis as a writer when she wrote this one. She mocks herself as a writer, her genre, and her readers.

Not a single character in this book was likeable; in fact, they were all despicable. Why would anyone want to read this drivel? Rapists, murderers, martyrs, rediculous witchcraft and black magic.... And no grounding at all in history.

Um, if you hadn't guessed yet, I do not recommend this book to anyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krisfink (new)

Krisfink Wow--that review is so bad it almost makes me want to read the book. . .

Karen Have you read her other books? (The Other Boelyn Girl, etc.). You'd enjoy them. If not, I'll throw them into the next box of clothes I send, and I'll include this one, just for good measure. :-)

message 3: by Krisfink (new)

Krisfink Krisfink wrote: "Wow--that review is so bad it almost makes me want to read the book. . ."

Yes, I've read a few of them which I enjoyed which is why this review was so interesting. Maybe she hates her success. Have you watched the series The Tudors--a little redundant (after these books) and not all that accurate but fun.