Ruben's Reviews > Open

Feb 28, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Recommended for: everybody who doesn't hate tennis or Andre Agassi
Read from January 30 to February 27, 2010

I'm racking my brain to think of a better autobiography than this one. I usually avoid autobiographies since most are not written by authors, and therefore are not as well written as the average book. (The equivalent would be an author playing the role of himself in his own biopic.) There are many themes that course through the chapters of his life, spanning twenty years as a professional tennis player and two marriages. The ending is satisfyingly conclusive, too. (No, he doesn't die at the end. That would be quite impossible to write about.)

I know tennis pretty well, though I never followed Mr. Agassi's career in particular very closely. I'd guess that it helps to have some understanding of tennis rules and terminology, but as you'd expect, tennis is both Agassi's career and guiding metaphor, and I think everyone can appreciate the meaning behind it.

Open: An Autobiography is so entertaining that I'm sure it's not the last we'll see of Andre Agassi, auteur. I'll jump on his next book like he jumps on a serve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Open.