Susan's Reviews > Lottery

Lottery by Patricia Wood

Aug 28, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2008

This is part review and part commentary about the other reviews here. Many readers compare Lottery to Forest Gump. Besides the main characters having a low IQ in common, the stories are not similar at all. Forest Gump was purposely absurd and mocked Forest’s disability, while Lottery, in my opinion, tells a genuine and believable story in a way that is respectful to Perry’s shortcomings.

At least one reader said “I freaking despise ‘Retard with a heart of gold’ stories” but read the book anyway and then proceeded to pan the book harshly. Generally speaking, for those who have strong feelings about the types of stories they don’t like to read, take this to heart…read the book jacket or the goodreads description or the review in the New York Times first. You should be able to gather enough information to gauge the likelihood it may be a book you definitely won’t like. If the likelihood is high, save yourself the agony and save the author from an unnecessary, meaningless beating.

So, yes, if you like heart wrenching, relatively uplifting stories…ones that illustrate that every person has both good and bad qualities, neither of which correlate with intelligence…those that you don’t mind knowing ahead of time how it’s probably going to end but look to a talented author to suck you into the plot with every page…give this book a try. It’s difficult and not for everyone, but if you can embrace the premise *before* you crack the cover, you just may buy into it. I even surprised myself that I did so deeply.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lottery.

Lisa Mccurdy I completely agree! My heart goes out to the author (who I think did a fabulous job) after such a cruel review from someone who isn't even interested in the book topic. Why read it?!?!

Lisbeth Davies Another 100% agreement! I loved this book, can't wait to read it a second time at some point this year.