Jeff Yoak's Reviews > The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

Sep 21, 2015

bookshelves: audio-collection, read-in-2015
Read from September 12 to 21, 2015 , read count: 1

When I first read old Tom Clancy books, I generally thought that they were nearly unique for me in that they were better abridged. I used to describe them as having solid plots with long interruptions to describe details of how helicopters work that I didn't really care about.

Reading Red October, I was reminded of this early impression. It is still warranted, though I have more patience today when reading, and I admit, I'm a bit more interested. Except submarines, this time. As the Cold War continues to become history instead of something that I'm living through, I'm finding the Jack Ryan series of books especially enjoyable. It's odd to contemplate a frame of mind which is jarringly different from what one can currently have, but that I remember as contemporary.

This is also just a plain good story. If it were sci fi, occurring against a fictional backdrop, it would still be utterly gripping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Red October.

09/13/2015 marked as: currently-reading
09/21/2015 marked as: read

Kelly I always compare Clancy to Hugo because of the interruptions. I didn't need to know that much about Parisian sewers. :)