Kyra's Reviews > Banished Children of Eve: A Novel of Civil War New York

F 50x66
Jan 03, 10

liked it
Read in December, 2009

I might not have stuck with this if I had not been trapped without reading options on a family visit where everyone else endlessly watched television. Very slow start but gradually the plot, the writing and the characters snared me. Scalpeens and booly dogs abound - the period detail is amazing - historical characters like Stephen Foster and Civil War general Zook (yep, Zook!) mix in with the fictional characters seamlessly. Terrific book once you get through the ponderously slow first 250 pages. And I am SO glad I don't live in New York - didn't live in New York - am nowhere near New York. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banished Children of Eve.

message 1: by Kt. (new)

Kt. I'm adding that one to my list. I love Civil War-era novels. Got any more up your sleeve?

Kyra Kt. wrote: "I'm adding that one to my list. I love Civil War-era novels. Got any more up your sleeve?"

I warn you it is horrendously slow for the first one third or so - I really doubt I would have stuck with it if not trapped in subdivision Surrey with some very unsociable family members. Peter started it after I finished and he quit after 20 pages.
I learned so much from this book though - it had me running to Wikipedia - Zook ??? Stephen Foster was gay ?? Towards the end it really picks up speed and I loved the ending where you find out how "respectable" some of these families with scummy antecedents became after a couple of generations. Hilarious.

Melinda I too found it horrendously slow. I couldn't get past it.