Holly's Reviews > The Women's Room

The Women's Room by Marilyn French

Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from January 27 to February 10, 2010

Wow, I had to force myself through to the end of this book. I think if I had read this as a young idealistic college student, I would have that it was incredible. Reading it as a 45 year old professional in a male dominated field, I am discouraged by how little has actually changed. The media, politics and academia still drive home the predominant themes when it comes to women, and they are destructive themes. I see it every day in my female patient population. Overall, this book just depressed the hell out of me and made me hate everyone, just like Val in the end. I am glad to be done with it, and although the writing was good, can't muster up more than 3 stars for it because of the foul mood it left within me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women's Room.

01/30/2010 page 80
17.17% "hmm....I feel myself getting angry!"
02/04/2010 page 200
42.92% "tough going"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dale Gomez Wow, thanks for the warning. I am not sure I want to put myself through this one. Real life, especially in male dominated arenas where sabatoge is the norm, is a big enough PITA in those regards. Not sure I want my relief valve hi-jacked, but not one to stick my head up my butt either. Don't forget, themes start in the home too.

Holly Read it and let me know what you think. It had some very profound passages, and insight, but overall, really sad.

Dale Gomez Added it to my list, and plan on reading it right after I finish my current book.