☯Bettie☯'s Reviews > Captain Blood

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Blood.

01/03/2010 page 2
0.85% "Attending to some of the rebels wounded at the Battle of Sedgemoor, Peter is arrested for treason"
01/04/2010 page 4
1.69% "Upon arrival on the island of Barbados, he is bought by Colonel Bishop"
01/04/2010 page 5
2.12% "Blood's skills as a physician prove superior to those of the local doctors"
01/04/2010 page 8
3.39% "A Spanish force attacks and raids the town of Bridgetown"
01/04/2010 page 9
3.81% "Blood captures the Spaniards' ship."
01/04/2010 page 9
3.81% "Hazzah - Bishop walks the plank. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum."
01/04/2010 page 13
5.51% "[image error]" 5 comments
01/04/2010 page 14
5.93% "[image error]"
01/04/2010 page 16
6.78% "[image error]" 3 comments

message 1: by Wanda (last edited Jan 04, 2010 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wanda Sounds good! Did you download it? Does Captain Blood meet up with Doctor Syn? Now that would be an adventure!

☯Bettie☯ Wanda wrote: "Sounds good! Did you download it? "

[image error]

Hello there dear Wanda, Click on:

It's under gutenberg but it links to Libbrivox and is streamed in a chapter at a time. I also have the wiki page open for the historical references as it's been a while since I encountered the Duke of Monmouth. Such is the way memory dissipates over the years.

:O)

Sorry I haven't been around much but it was fearfully busy for a while. This also is a short week, reduced shop hours with another bank holiday on Wednesday (the arrival of the Kings story from the bible)

Wanda Bettie wrote: "Wanda wrote: "Sounds good! Did you download it? "

Hello there dear Wanda, Click on:

It's under gutenberg but it links to Libbrivox and is stream..."

Yes, the Epiphany. We celebrate with a small gift in Dear W's stocking from the Kings.

☯Bettie☯ Apparently Peter Blood is one of the characters in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

I really must get around to having a read of that as I totally loved V for Vendetta. Have you read these?

message 5: by Hayes (new)

Hayes Thanks for the link! Yummy fun!!

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I agree... some of those Librivox readers are a bit, um, hard on the ears. Others are brilliant. I will have to find me a copy of this, me thinks. Aargh!

Stephanie Thank you for bringing this wonderful adventure to my attention, Bettie. I'm having a great time reading it!

☯Bettie☯ Stephanie wrote: "Thank you for bringing this wonderful adventure to my attention, Bettie. I'm having a great time reading it!"

*blushes with pride* Thank you Stephanie - if you love this then do try Scaramouche as well but leave a gap between so the swash-buckling glory doesn't become 'old'. There is so much out there that is tremendously good fun, all laying forgotten under today's new releases.

Huzzah for the old adventures! Hip Hurray for Librivox and Gutenberg!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads My mother was re-reading Scaramouche last week - seems to have enjoyed it thoroughly.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "My mother was re-reading Scaramouche last week - seems to have enjoyed it thoroughly."

Tonight (what's left of it) I'll be trimming my hair then putting a colour in to cover the encroaching grey; during the 'cooking' stages I shall be looking at Scaramouche the film.

Aaaargh me hearties!

xx

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Is that an Errol Flynn?

☯Bettie☯ 1952 hammer -

Stewart Granger ... Andre Moreau
Eleanor Parker ... Lenore
Janet Leigh ... Aline de Gavrillac de Bourbon
Mel Ferrer ... Noel, Marquis de Maynes
Henry Wilcoxon ... Chevalier de Chabrillaine
Nina Foch ... Marie Antoinette

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Ah, Stewart Granger and the lovely Janet Leigh (as far as I know, the only guest murderer Columbo ever let get away with it).

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Ah, Stewart Granger and the lovely Janet Leigh (as far as I know, the only guest murderer Columbo ever let get away with it)."

Have you seen this film?

What with one thing and another , I haven't fulfilled my earlier plans so I still look like a dag.

happy dag though!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads No, I don't think I have seen it.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "No, I don't think I have seen it.

Tonight's viewing will probably have an NFL playoff game in it, if Bob has anything to say about it."

Aaaah Bob

message 17: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jan 16, 2010 11:06AM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Snort!

The viewing if I have anything to say about it, will feature U.S. Nationals in figure skating. We are, as they say, at a slight impasse.

On the other hand, dinner out at an Indian restaurant is also on the table.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Snort!

On the other hand, dinner out at an Indian restaur..."

Onion bhajis - yum

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads It is our favorite joint in town, the India Palace.

We've ordered a lot of different stuff there, and liked all of it.

I'm feeling hungry for something from their tandoori grill - OM NOM NOM NOM.

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "It is our favorite joint in town, the India Palace.

We've ordered a lot of different stuff there, and liked all of it.

I'm feeling hungry for something from their tandoori grill - OM NOM NOM NOM."

will you eat out or collect to eat at home - either way, Indian food is always delicious. Have you sorted out the TV yet? I noticed a while back that you stopped your Last FM listening

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads We do take-out from there sometimes, so I'm not sure.

Yes, the TV is fine. Am still listening on Last.FM - was out of town for most of last week, though. Also, I got a new CD/ROM drive for the computer for Christmas (thanks, Bob!).

☯Bettie☯ Bargain! that's a neat pressie. The download of Capt Blood is taking its time - another 18 hours to cook yet but in the meantime I'm really enjoying Uppity Women and look up each and every personality. So interesting - check out Mita Lupa - that's a weird tale all on its own!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Looks like Indian is out, and homemade spaghetti sauce is in. OM NOM NOM either way!

message 24: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited Jan 16, 2010 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "Looks like Indian is out, and homemade spaghetti sauce is in. OM NOM NOM either way!"

Susanna - help! oh HELP...

Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Nam consequat justo ut enim rhoncus eu rutrum lectus pulvinar. Aenean eget sapien id odio consequat euismod eget id sapien! Nulla imperdiet, urna eleifend aliquet commodo, risus lectus fermentum sem, eleifend hendrerit erat lacus sit amet est? Curabitur vitae nibh neque. Praesent libero est, suscipit sit amet sagittis sit amet

Any clues?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads It seems to be about a sad old man wasting away.

A couple of the words, however, I have no idea what they might mean. Can't find them in my Cassell's.

What's it from?

☯Bettie☯ Susanna wrote: "It seems to be about a sad old man wasting away.

What's it from?"

Oh Susanna - how remiss of me not to let you know the result. Apparently, it's a faux latin script called 'Lorem Lipsum'. The tech guys that are building our homepage inserted it in certain areas; I didn't notice but Hayes did.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Ah, that's what I thought it might be.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Heh heh heh.