Joyzi's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: e-book, fiction, disappointing-books, banned, books-to-movies, chick-lit, realistic-fiction, contemporary-fiction, crime, favorites, thought-provoking
Recommended to Joyzi by: My classmates
Recommended for: Peeps who don't mind heavy family drama
Read from April 22 to 24, 2010 , read count: 1

Keeper Pictures, Images and Photos

***Contains Major Spoilers***

This book was totally amazing, though I will give it 4 stars because of what happened in the end of the book.

Anna was a genetically engineered baby so that in the future she could be use as a donor for her sister Kate who has leukemia. At first it was only cord blood, then she have to give her after a few years, lymphocytes, granulocytes etc., then a bone marrow transplant.

Anna was a little kid then so the decisions in these procedures well of course in her parents' hands. Now that her sister Kate has a kidney failure her mother asked her if she could donate one of her kidneys so that her sister could be save by death.

Anna then realizes that she had enough, she wants that she could at least have control over what would be done to her body because in the end, in a long-term run, having one kidney have risks. So Anna decided to sue her parents to have medical emancipation.

The conflict in this story was intense because now Anna should consider herself versus her family. Also Anna don't hate her sister Kate and that makes it more hard for her. And while I'm reading this book, I realized that, you know Anna's parents you can not judge them because I think that being a parent it's hard for them because they have to save Kate but it doesn't mean that they don't care for Anna, it's complicated.

Nevertheless I think the book shows and explains why does parents have to decide things like that, as I said earlier we can not judge them. And then Anna in the end have succeeded and she became emancipated, she no longer have to donate her kidneys. I love how does it happen in the court room, especially when they point out that this is not a case or whether or not Anna should gave her kidneys but instead Anna having choices and deciding for herself what's good for her body, because that's her body.

And then after that, after all the drama, the questioning of the court room, after Anna is finally free, she died on the same day that she was finally free. She died because of a car accident.

And I was like what the hell was that? I mean what's the point? It's like when I'm watching Final Destination when all these characters just die in stupid no reason at all way. It's just like that I really don't get what Jodi Picoult wants to point out, maybe because that would make the story unpredictable like "Got you! Bet you didn't see that coming!" or because it makes me sing that Ironic song of Alanis Morisette,"Isn't it Ironic? Don't you think?" or maybe she just want to end it with a bloody heavy drama we've seen in televisions that it's totally cliche.

Nevertheless I still recommend it, read it and you'll learn a lot of things. I'm a nursing student and last last year we've discussed this in Health Ethics actually but in truth I learn a lot of things while reading this than when I'm studying this in class. And if you're like a little bit hesitated especially if you don't like drama, drama, drama, there is a minor plot that has a romance in it.

So it's drama with a little bit of romance and some of the lines are still humorous but overall it's like a very serious and depressing book.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.

Quotes Joyzi Liked

Jodi Picoult
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.”
Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

message 1: by jamaicaska (new)

jamaicaska Ive heard a lot of good comments about this book. I havent read any Picoult and Im planning to buy this book sometime soon.

Nice review. :)

Joyzi Thanks ^^

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Thanks for sharing ... good luck with your studies ... my mom was an RN in England before moving to the U.S. then working in a Geriatric Center. Genetic engineering in humans is a deep issue, not exactly like cloning a camel to produce more milk diba. It seems to me that human suffering cannot be avoided yet to engineer someone to reduce ONE area of suffering is more justfiable than selecting eye color or for competitive advantage. Free will is a wonderful thing ... and perhaps the greater good is a byproduct of intrinsically good individuals ... sorry if this comment lacks bite ... 2:30 a.m. Eric

Nutty Natty Im just taking a guess but wasn't genetic engineering in it's very early stages in the 1990s?...