Hamda Almuhairi's Reviews > Being

Being by Kevin Brooks

Jan 04, 10

bookshelves: favorites, aww, 2010, weird-and-bizarre, ya, realistic-fiction, original, death
Read in January, 2010

This was a pretty strange yet interesting book.

'Dr. Andrews tells Robert that his surgery will be a routine endoscopy, which will check for a stomach ulcer. Everything is going as planned --- IVs, anesthesia, gurneys, doctors, scalpels --- until the anesthesia stops working and Robert wakes up. Doctors are calling for more doctors. Men with holstered pistols stand guard around the room. The confusion increases as the doctors try to figure out what they're seeing. "What the hell are you?" one of them asks. That single line sets Robert off. He has to get out of there. Whatever he does, he must escape' [teenreads.com:]

This book was better than watching a good action movie, emotional too. Now imagine yourself: you think you're normal like everybody else but then you discover something inhuman and unnatural in you. Something that could possibly mean that you're not a human like everybody else, that you never were, never belonged.

Now that's what I call a decent run-away book.

The author didn't write the book with fantasy in mind. It's all real. The story isn't happening in the future, in some different version of our world but right here. You feel it's possible, you feel: fear, danger, and awkwardness. When I read a book with the character going through lots of trouble I'd think it's horrible and nasty and then what?

Does it feel like it could possibly happen to me?
Maybe, but it doesn't really change anything. It's just a book.

But that's not the case here. After reading Being, I think anything is possible. It's that believable.

And um, about the ending. It wasn't what I expected and it did leave some unanswered questions but I thought it fit the story. It didn't matter.

A must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being.

01/02/2010 page 47
14.46% "Nothing much but I think better stuff are coming up~"
01/03/2010 page 50
15.38% "Nothing much still but I'm getting close to the part where the real action begins~"
show 1 hidden update…