Mike's Reviews > Going After Cacciato

Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien

May 24, 2007

did not like it
Read in May, 2007

After reading, The Things They Carried, I immediately ran down to the library to check out O’Brien’s earlier writing, Going After Cacciato. And maybe my expectations were too high, but I was very disappointed in this writing. The Things They Carried was written in such a sophisticated manner. Going After Cacciato seemed jagged and forced. I really can’t see what was so special about this book that it was nominated for a bunch of rewards. I can only guess that there was a severe shortage of novels in 1979 when it was published. Maybe someone would tell me that I didn’t get it, that I missed the message or the symbolism. Oh no, I got the message. I just didn’t like the prose used to deliver it. One of the most unremarkable stories I’ve read in a long time.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going After Cacciato.

02/17 marked as: read

message 1: by Rich (new) - added it

Rich I picked this up and put it down, about one or two years ago. I don't think I was able to get into it. Although the last time I was home and thinking about reading it, it looked good again. Unfortunately I chose to go with the mammoth "Declare."

Andrew I had the same experience.

Eduard I had a similar experience and my lukewarm review reflects it. I chalked it off to surreal book from a surreal war (written by a real Vet).