Krisette Spangler's Reviews > Scaramouche

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Feb 16, 10

bookshelves: classics

This was a great piece of historical fiction. Andre'-Louise is a young lawyer whose best friend is killed by a member of the aristocracy for his revolutionary ideals. Andre'-Louise vows to take up the banner of his friend's revolutionary ideals after his attempts at justice are not realized.

"It was your eloquence he feared Phillipe," he said. "Then if I can get no justice for this deed, at least it shall be fruitless to him. The thing he feared in you, he shall fear in me. He feared that men might be swayed by your eloquence to the undoing of things such as himself. Men shall be swayed by it still. For your eloquence and your arguments shall be my heritage from you. I will make them own."

These words begin a swashbuckling adventure, that had me on the edge of my seat at times. The story slows down in a few spots, but if you're patient - you'll love this book. I kept wondering as I was reading it why someone hadn't made it into a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scaramouche.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have liked what I've read, but I put it down for awhile because I wanted it to be fresh in my mind when we discussed it. Now that we're moving book club back up a week, I guess I better get to it...

Krisette Spangler Are we moving it back for sure?

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam I don't know if Stacy has contacted Jaquie and/or Lorrie. Maybe that's my position as hostess, but she said she wanted to move it up. I think it makes it a little easier for Jaquie if we're going to do her book at the end of March.

Krisette Spangler Kelly is reading the book right now and will probably attend book group.

message 5: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Great! I talked to Stacy tonight and she wants me to call Jaquie and Lorrie, so I'll let you know what they say.