Steph's Reviews > Dragonflight

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

Oct 26, 2007

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

I read this book back in sixth grade and thought it was exciting in the "wow, dragons are so cool; I wish I had one!" sense. I read it again on a whim and found it unintentionally disturbing. It's not just that the writing seemed dry and the characterization wooden. I realize the book was written in the late 60's, but the male-female dynamics still seem uncomfortably dated. The text seems to condone F'lar's treatment of Lessa; he patronizes her, yells at her, shakes her when he's angry, and practically rapes her. She never confronts him about it. And then, plot aside, she's supposed to "come around" to love him in the end. I never noticed it when I was younger, but it troubles me now that this is supposed to feel romantic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonflight.

06/12/2016 marked as: read

Kimmay I agree with you on the way F'lar treated Lessa... he acted like a creep not the protagonist. If I didn't already have the next books in the series I probably would not cvontinue on with it, but since I have them already I will probably read the next few at least. Hopefully the writing style gets better... at least hopefully the "attitudes" improve. :O)

Karina I never felt that with Lessa as I reckoned she was secretly planning his death until things got better.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Jensen That was how reading Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" was for me. I loved it when I was younger, now...I can barely get through it because I get angry she allows herself to be treated as she does and that it seems acceptable for him to be cruel.

Silver It drove me nuts that Lessa just sat there and took it. Like yeah F'lar might be more powerful than her but it is not like her to not say anything at all to being mistreated or disrespected. Plus she had leverage since she was bonded to the only queen dragon. They need her, and they need to keep her happy. They constantly pointed out how the previous Queen's weyrwoman was unhappy and that's why things went to crap. Yet somehow abusing and disrespecting Lessa is suppose to somehow save all of dragonkind.