Naomi's Reviews > Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas

Watch for the Light by Thomas Aquinas

Jan 07, 10

bookshelves: religion, sermons, spiritual-practices, christianity
Read in January, 2010

I used this devotional through the Advent and Christmas season (it ends January 7)as a way to focus and ponder some significant christian writers approaches to Advent, Christmas, and the beginning of Epiphany. The collection is marvelous, in part because just when I was delighted to be reading a collection of liberationist texts, I would encounter a piece that really challenged me or was so caught up in doctrine that I had to parse it out, piece by piece, bow to the author, and then find a way to connect my own spirit and heart to something that felt so alien to me. After all, that's another of the messages of Christmas: meeting the stranger. Since the readings weren't matched against 2009's lectionary cycle (C), but with cycle A of 2001, there were some really interesting gaps that invited me into bridging again. Advent 2010 will bring us back to the same cycle that the book was published for, so I recommend this as a sometimes tough devotional filled with broad array of approaches to Advent and Christmas.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch for the Light.