Erin's Reviews > The Lace Makers of Glenmara

2320578
Jan 16, 10

bookshelves: ireland
Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Wow. This book was not good. Barbieri takes pretty much every stereotype about Ireland and the Irish and populates her story with them. There's the little village that time forgot, filled with quirky but adorable locals and an overbearing priest. There's the American with a tragic past who stumbles into their midst and is immediately treated like family (because the Irish are the friendliest people in the world, dontcha know?). There's the hunky but brooding love interest who can't open his heart due to a dark secret in his past. It is RIDICULOUS. All of it.

First of all, the heroine, Kate, is one of the worst-written protagonists I've ever encountered. She talks like she just stepped out of 1890, not contemporary Seattle. There's nothing modern or fashionable about her, and yet we're expected to believe she's this cutting edge fashion designer back home. Uh... sure. She has no ambition, no direction, absolutely nothing in her life that makes her interesting. She's perfectly happy to sit around Glenmara all day sewing lace with women twice her age and not thinking at all about what she's going to do with her future. Why would the reader care about her? Answer: they don't.

The love story is ridiculous and forced. I can't figure out why anyone would be attracted to Kate to begin with, but the "Quiet Man" rip off proceeds anyway. Some of the Glenmara ladies are likable enough and it is their cares and concerns that really propel the story, but the eventual conclusion to the book is so thoroughly preposterous that it just made me groan. Really? The lace underwear is SO spectacular that international news stations pick up the story and suddenly the product is in incredible demand all over the globe? Tourists pour into town dying to get a look at some freaking lace underwear? Are they aware that lace underwear is available at pretty much every mall in every city in the world? It's all so insulting to a reader's intelligence. This book was a huge disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Makers of Glenmara.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katherine Coble So much about this book bugged me. You pegged a lot of it.

I know this is a small detail, but one that has me reeling. One of the characters inherited her late husband's Gaelic-language newspaper. He was the editor. And a huge proponant for keeping the Gaelic language alive.

His name? John. And that's what gets me because it seems like Barbieri couldn't be bothered with accurate detail. Because that man would undoubtedly call himself Sean.

message 2: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin Ha! That didn't even occur to me when I read it, but you're absolutely right. He would definitely call himself Sean.

This book really irritated me. It was like the author didn't actually know anything about Ireland or the Irish other than what she'd seen in movies. The whole thing was just sloppy. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt this way!

message 3: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime Brooks I couldn't get past page 65.....

Becky Wow...o...wow, They say great minds think alike. You and I must have great minds!!!! LOL I quit reading at 57% which was way longer than I should have read. See my review for more details...if you wanna!

Carol Rogers You are so right, except that the Irish women weren't convincing either and I don't think that the author has ever been in Ireland for more than a whistle stop bus tour.