Brian Steele's Reviews > The Mephisto Club

The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

Jan 02, 10

bookshelves: mystery

While novels in the typical mystery genre usually don’t appeal to me, I decided to give Tess Gerritsen’s book “The Mephisto Club” a try. I had heard good things about the novel and the premise intrigued me. Detective Rizzoli and M.E. Isles, who seemed to be reoccurring characters, are pulled into a disturbing series of murders, all in which the victims are viciously mutilated. Certain aspects of the crimes lead the police to believe they have religious overtones, ones pertaining to Satan in particular. As the body count grows, The Mephisto Club becomes involved, a group of individuals from all walks of life who are supposedly dedicated to the study and eradication of evil. It is here where the novel both shines and falls flat. While the author has clearly done her research in regards to the symbology, lore and history, her various characters do not mesh well with the plot device. The Club members themselves come across as stock players, and worse, the Detective is portrayed far too ignorant and unyielding to be a believable officer of the modern day Boston PD. In the end, I was far more interested in the investigative aspects the author went through to prepare the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mephisto Club.