Debs's Reviews > Just in Case

Just in Case by Meg Rosoff

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in January, 2010

In my opinion, Meg Rosoff's novels have been unfairly categorized as young adult literature. While it's true that her protagonists are usually children or teenagers, the complexity of her characters and the beauty inherent in her wording serve to place her writing significantly above that of many popular young adult authors. I read this book immediately after reading Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver and the intellectual and emotional distance between these two novels is significant.

I haven't yet read The Book Thief, but from what others have said I would consider Rosoff to be in the same league as Zusak. I wish every author of young adult fiction would read Rosoff's novels to see that there can be exquisite beauty and depth in something written primarily for younger readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just in Case.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Katie I'm reading How I Live right now and I so agree with your comment about Rosoff's writing having such great depth and emotional/intellectual resosanance in comparison to other ya works.

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Agree, Rosoff's works could easily be categorized as adult fiction. I'm hoping you've had a chance to read Zusak's The Book Thief -- it's really, really wonderful.