Buggy's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Aug 05, 13

bookshelves: shelf-09, paranormal-rom, tortured-hero, vampalicious, top, shelf-10, scars-r-sexy, not-so-hea, re-read, tattooed-hero
Read in April, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Opening Line:"I am so not feeling all this cowhide."

~AWESOME, WITH AN UNCONVENTIONAL ENDING~

Book 5 in JR Wards sexy Black Dagger Brotherhood series is all about Vishous and "Doc" Jane. It's another great addition and I really enjoyed witnessing V let his guard down and fall in love. I found him to be surprisingly considerate and gentle especially for someone who's into sadomasochism. His falling for Jane is believable and makes sense as she's his intellectual equal and he respects her for it. She's also one of the few (human or Vampire) able to put Vishous in his place. Their story is erotic, suspenseful and ultimately heartbreaking, with revelations and surprises galore. I would suggest however that newbie's read this series in order, to get the full affect and intricate back story.

LOVER UNBOUND sees everyone from previous books returning and there's a lot of growth involved within the story as a whole. As usual JR has several distinct plotlines running simultaneously and a host of secondary returning characters who continue to grow and evolve.

As we begin Vishous is having dirty thoughts about his roommate. Even though he's disgusted with himself he can't seem to stop wanting what he can't have, and watching Butch all lovey-dovey with his wife Marissa is driving him crazy. Good thing he has his S &M outfitted Penthouse and a list of females eager to be bound and dominated. Its while at his 'love nest' that the Scribe Virgin makes an appearance blowing his mind with some life changing news and demanding that V become 'Primale' (basically he must marry a harem of chosen females and propagate the declining vampire race) Not really V's cup of tea but that's the least of his problems as that very night sees him getting shot in the chest and taken to a human hospital where he's operated on by trauma surgeon Jane Whitcomb. Jane is a no nonsense woman; strong, brilliant and forthright she's also head of the department and has an interest in genetics, so when Jane see's V's unusual heart and characteristic Vampire traits she's more than intrigued.

Interestingly all the brothers feel V's injury and know instinctively that something is wrong. When they eventually find him the boys have to extract V from the hospital and cover up any evidence that he was ever there. This is a great scene as Phury, Rhage and Butch short out video monitors and alarms, fritz computer files and 'scrub' nurses minds. To make things even more complicated V insists on kidnapping Jane so she can continue to care for him back at the mansion.

And... back at the mansion; Wrath is livid that Jane has been brought into the Brotherhood's world. Only allowing her to stay until V has recovered then she must be 'scrubbed' and released. Butch is sick from inhaling Lessers and after Jane witness's a healing session she assumes V and Butch are a couple. This doesn't bode well for V who keeps thinking "mine" whenever he looks at her. Luckily he's able to perform certain acts in her dreams (nice.) Bella is having some complications with the pregnancy which in turn is making Zsadist a little crazy. John Mathew, Blay, Quinn and Lash continue their training and wait for 'the change.' We are introduced to Cormina and JR gives us a fascinating look into the Scribe Virgins world. The Lessers remain relatively quiet throughout our story until towards the end and then, wow! We also get flashbacks of Vishous in his father's war camp and discover why he got his tattoos. V's darker sexual tendencies are also explored and in a very touching scene he and Butch talk about their feelings for each other.

Phury again plays a major role as we are set up brilliantly for the next book (Lover Enshrined) He's having some major issues with anger management and feelings towards his twin's wife which is causing him to overindulge in 'red smoke'. Ultimately Phury sacrifices again for the good of others.

EDIT: This great book was a re-read for me and as you can tell a lot happens. Unfortunately I still had a hard time with the ending, it just doesn't sit right even knowing the outcome. All I will say is that its an untraditional HEA and you'd better have some Kleenex handy. The closing chapters do however contain one of my favourite scenes from the entire series and once you've read the hot chocolate scene you`ll know what I mean...Sigh

Highly recommended for fans of the sexy yet troubled Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

Quotes Buggy Liked

J.R. Ward
“When I want you to beg, I'll tell you.”

J.R. Ward
“I believe there's a hand that guides us. It just isn't always a gentle one. Or one that seems fair at the time. But I dunno, I try to trust in it now. When I freak, I just try to... shit, I guess trust in it. Because at the end of the day, what else can you do? Choice only gets you so far. Reasoning and planning too. The rest... it's up to someone else. Where we end up, who we know, what happens to the people we love... we don't have a lot of control over any of it.”

J.R. Ward
“I love you. And I'm going to keep loving you even after you don't know I exist.”

04/08/2010 page 62
12.35% "A delicious Vishous Re-Read. Butch assumed a bored expression "You can bite me"
I wish, V thought."
04/09/2010 page 228
45.42% "~Re-Read~ Terrific. A bisexual dominant vampire with kidnapping expertise. For so many reasons she shouldn't feel like she did about him."

Eastofoz I really liked this one too. Very different and I really liked Jane. I was on the edge with the ending too --had a bout of "what the hell is Ward doing" tears too (lol!)

Buggy Yeah This ending still doesn't work for me. Even seeing Jane 2 books on I'm not "feeling" the whole happy ghostly relationship vibe. Ward could have done their H-ever'n'ever-A so many different ways, she seems to feel the need to give her humans a plausible eternity with their vampire mates however.

DarienMoya Great review buggy, I just love him, he is the best character ever, my lovely V. I am gonna re-read this one again.

Buggy Thanks D, I just re-read the whole damn series and that V, yup he's quite....delicious. This story is great as a whole though.

DarienMoya yep yep its my fave, Doc Jane maybe I will grow to like her,lol. Or maybe she could become a lesbian and take Marissa. I would just like to see the fight of who will be the top.

Buggy The ghostly ending still bothered me.(well that and the fact we all wanted hinm to end up with Butch at least once) I don't mind Doc Jane anymore, she's preety cool in LM.

Bark's Book Nonsense I've got to get reading these books!

Buggy Gah!! I CAN NOT believe you haven't read them yet. Oh well good reading ahead, lucky you. Its one series I wish I could read again for the first time.

Bark's Book Nonsense There are so many it's a bit daunting and something new always comes in that I have to read but I hope to start, at the very least, the first one this summer.

Buggy I know the feeling but this series will change everything, it did for me I've been obsessed with it for years now. Its like how can I rate any other book 5 stars when compared with the BDB books.

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Jun 06, 2011 10:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You need to stop reviewing these, UM V-Lover!!! You make me want to do re-reads and I don't have the time!!!!!

Buggy LMAO Unique Super G( thats Granny) Thanks and I know what you mean, I don't have time to be re-reading these what with over 300 books on my TBR shelf. But they're just SO good and I always discover something new.

Adrienne Marie you wanted V to be with Butch? LOL :)

Buggy Mmm yes I did. There's actually a large following of people that wanted this to happen. If not each others HEA then at least once so us fans have something to think about. People were asking Ward just last weekened at her book signing about it

Adrienne Marie I just adore Butch. He is my favorite. I was just happy reading about him being with a female so I can imagine it was me :) :)

message 16: by Buggy (last edited Sep 13, 2011 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Yeah I agree (me too) however Butch and V are just SO hot together. Just wait until you get to Butch's ---------(spoiler) ceremony!!!!!!!! :)

Adrienne Marie haha. i have read the book. I read about the necking :) I enjoyed Butch and V's banter very much. I enjoyed reading about Butch in general. He is too funnyyy

Adrienne Marie maybe she can kill marissa off and then V can help Butch get over her. sounds like a good story to me. I am currently trying to get into the John character so I can read Lover Mine. i heard its a great book.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick No matter how I try, I just can't imagine a Butch and V bromance! I love their relationship as it is. They need each other in a way that transcends friendship and is WAY beyond romantic.

Adrienne Marie I am a minority here because I enjoyed marissa and butch. i loved how he chased her, stalked her, loved her, cried over her, kissed her, talked to her.....swoon....... i just wished it was me :) lol he is "mine" :)

♥ Melody Great review! I have to say still Unbound was the most surprising book out of all the books for me. I went into it expecting to hate it, be angry or frustrated. I ended up really loving it. I was frustrated with the ending too Buggy but the way it was set up really floored me because I didn't see it coming (even though I knew what happens to Jane). I had/have reservations about them truly being happy with Jane ending up like that. But their love story was so damn good. I was Butch/V fan and curious about them before reading this but after? Nope. Sorry don't buy it. After reading Unbound you can't ever convince me he loves more/deserves/should end up with Butch. The two of them never convinced me that they were meant to be together. And Butch is cray crazy about his Marissa. The writing and plot in this book was one of the strongest by Ward IMO.

Alex is The Romance Fox Fabulous review. I loved V's story.
And like you, I hated the ending. I felt it was so unfair for both V & Jane. V deserved so much more....saying that I am very happy that he and Jane are together. I am one of those that never felt that V and Butch should be a couple...i love the relationship they have...it's such a deep and special friendship that anything more would spoilt it for me.

Mahlet hmmm....hot chocolate scene? I'm ashamed to admit that I've forgotten about it, but now I want to remember :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Buggy.

Buggy Melody wrote: "Great review! I have to say still Unbound was the most surprising book out of all the books for me. I went into it expecting to hate it, be angry or frustrated. I ended up really loving it. I was f..."

Thanks Melody! I totally agree with you regarding "The writing and plot in this book was one of the strongest by Ward IMO."
I'm not one of the many that hates Jane and I am happy with the pairing however I still wish Ward had gotten V and Butch together.

It bothers me however that once she made her decision not to, that in the future books she keeps hinting at and teasing us with little tidbits that they still might get something going or have done a little fooling around. IMO once she made her decision with Jane she should have let that "them" go altogether.

message 26: by Buggy (last edited Aug 06, 2013 11:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Alex wrote: "Fabulous review. I loved V's story.

Thanks Alex,

I love V and Butch's friendship too, it is so intense and un-categorizeable. It is way more than just friends.

Buggy Mahlet wrote: "hmmm....hot chocolate scene? I'm ashamed to admit that I've forgotten about it, but now I want to remember :)"

ha, ha Mahlet. The "Hot chocolate scene" takes place towards the end. Its when V returns Jane to her home and then he makes her a Hot chocolate and then after some conversation scrubs her. She "comes to" crying into her mug and she doesn't know why. Gah its so beautiful and sad.

Buggy Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Fantastic review, Buggy."

Thanks Kristen :)

message 29: by Mahlet (last edited Aug 07, 2013 05:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mahlet HA! I was way off. My hot chocolate guesses involved a bottle of Hershey's syrup :)

Buggy Yeah That would have been good too ;)

♥ Melody It bothers me too Buggy. I was very pissed off with what she pulled in Lover Unleashed just for some contrived scenes of Butch coming to his rescue and making Jane look like an after thought. Talk about re-writing. It was so unnecessary and undermined everything Jane and V went through in Unbound. Because of that I'm not a fan of the V/Butch dynamic (as lovers) anymore. I'm over it after having to sit through all that in Unleash. I love angst and couples facing new hurdles but when it starts to contradict and back peddle everything that happened previously in their own book is when I start to have issues. V loves Jane I don't want to or like to question his feelings for her after reading their own book.

And that hot chocolate scene made me want to curl up into a ball and cry like a baby. So sweet yet heartbreaking! :(

H ∞Δnother book Junkie∞ Amazing review :)

Buggy Thanks so much Haya. I was just thinking that its time for (another) reread of this book!