J.G. Keely's Reviews > Endgame

Oct 26, 07

bookshelves: drama, uk-and-ireland
Read in March, 2006

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endgame.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I cannot get into Samuel Beckett. I can appreciate him. I recognize what he's trying to accomplish in a lot of ways, but I can't agree with all of it. Your thoughts?

J.G. Keely Well, I suppose he strikes the same sense of ironic pessimism that Chekhov does, and though more overt, both by surreal and extended charactarization. The irony being that the only pessimism actually there is what has been forced upon by acculturation, and that this sense of identity subverts the natural optimism of mankind.

He is quite a bit further 'out there' in comparison to Chekhov, but I do appreciate Beckett's Absurdist leanings; though the humor leant is certainly much darker than a realist's.

I notice you've changed your picture. Face to the words, and all that. I have been lead to believe that you will from now on, and until changing your picture, recieve daily friend requests from men with 46 friends (all young women) and 4 books (Grishom, Crichton, and something they had to read for a class once). Luckily, the fact that most of them will live in Iran or the Phillipines will keep them nicely out of your hair.

I have a gender-neutral name, maybe I should pick up some young and desperate men of my own; all I need is a picture of a pretty lady. One can never have too many worshippers, eh?

Nice picture, though. I like the single, watching eye of the elder relative. That ought to teach some of those boys a little reproach; plus, it makes you seem like the caring, family type--and who doesn't like that?

message 3: by Kelly (last edited Oct 27, 2007 11:14AM) (new)

Kelly The thing is that I believe that one can relate to Chekhov. The time I saw the Cherry Orchard remains one of my favorite experiences of theatre. There is a way to keep your audience and make the same points. I will give you the fact that Waiting for Godot does have the possibility to be an inspired actor's dream. A particularly high energy one, though. Some of those passages...

As to the rest... I originally had a picture of myself and had that experience of many creepy requests from men with 'harems', and so changed it to the cartoon picture I had before out of disgust. Because apparently men cannot keep their creepiness off of even sites that are meant to be about reviewing books.

I must say that I didn't expect such comments from the likes of you, though. Especially the snide remarks about worshippers I do not think were necessary, appropriate, or at all called for. I see my impulse to trust any kind of maturity was wrong. It was a picture of myself and my grandmother. An entirely wholesome, normal picture of what I look like. It's what I look like. Period. There's no need for harrassment over that fact and snide implications simply because I choose to represent myself accurately. Unbelievable. Congratulations, you've inspired me to never use a real picture on this site again.