Emily's Reviews > Boom!

Boom! by Mark Haddon

Jan 19, 10

bookshelves: review-books
Read on January 18, 2010

So many books have promising plots and little character development. I find myself struggling to care about characters simply because I just don't know much about them. However, Boom! has such great potential for its characters, but its plot borders on ridiculous. Jim and his sister are people I find intersting and real. I would like to know them better, as well as their out-of-work dad. If Haddon would take these characters and put them in a better plot, I think he would have a great book. As it stands, however, I am not quite sure who would want to read this juvenile, alien- plot- to- take- over- the- world stuff. It is silly, with adult components thrown in. A cigarette-smoking sister does not belong in juvenile literature, but this book is nowhere complex enough to appeal to YA or adult readers. It was amusing at times, but never enough for me to feel like this book was one that I could recommend to anyone. Boom! just falls flat, and I was sorry I had to take a day off of my regular reading to focus on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boom!.