Kirsty's Reviews > The Memoirs of Cleopatra

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, history
Read from February 27 to March 17, 2011

Wow, this was a long book. It took me 3 weeks to read. It's one that I've had on my to read list for a long time, but had always been daunted by its size. I lost count of the number of times I'd picked it up in the book store but had put it down because I just wasn't sure that I was ready for a book that's almost 1000 pages long! Anyway, I was put out of my misery when I got it as my gift in our group's Secret Santa and so I finally got over my size-related anxiety and picked it up!

I've been fascinated by Ancient Egypt since we covered the topic at school when I was 8 or 9. I've some non-fiction books over the years and, as I said, this has been on my TBR list for a while. As soon as I started reading I was transported into the surroundings, sights and sounds of Ancient Egypt and the description was so vivid and detailed that I really felt like I was immersed in Egyptian life. Well, the life of the Royals anyway. Sometimes though, there was a little too much description and I wondered why the editor hadn't asked the author to trim it down a little.

Despite having to depict a whole lifetime in 957 pages, the plot was quite slow to develop. This gave more time for character development and as such the characters were very well built - obviously Cleopatra had to be, but the supporting characters were well explored too. I felt, though, that this meant that there were slow parts to the plot and, coupled with the overuse of description, this resulted in me skim-reading in places.

Looking past these flaws though, this was an entertaining read. I'm not sure how true-to-life the plot was as I only knew the basics about Cleopatra before reading this book, but there was definitely enough intrigue, mystery, death, love, lust and loathing in there to make me keep reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Cleopatra.

02/26/2011 page 1