Alea's Reviews > Fireworks Over Toccoa

Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff

Jan 31, 10

bookshelves: read-for-review
Read from January 23 to 26, 2010

This was promoted as in the spirit of Nicholas Sparks. I've never read one of his novels but had seen a few movie versions of his books so I thought why not. I'm also trying to expand my reading horizons so I thought this might open me up to a whole new type of story.

I rather liked Fireworks over Toccoa, it was a simple story spanning only a few days but also spanning decades, I love the idea of something in the present pulling you into the story and going back and learning what had happened all those years ago.

I like both Lily and Jake, Lily especially because we learn more about her. Her journey is very honest and true to heart. She goes for what she wants but also realizes her responsibilities, I think Stepakoff balances that line very well.

I tend to shy away from stories told in the past because they seem to revolve greatly around things I'm not so familiar with but I loved how Fireworks over Toccoa used the 1940s to accentuate Lily and Jake's story. It made it much more powerful to be in this certain time period with these certain values and expectations.

What I also liked about the book was it doesn't leave the reader hanging as to what happens, it's wrapped up all nicely with a bow at the end which sometimes is really nice to have and this book did just that!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireworks Over Toccoa.

01/23/2010 page 39