Kerfe's Reviews > People of the Book

412055
Jan 02, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2009

Once again, Geraldine Brooks takes historical events and makes riveting fiction. Her speculative history of the Sarajevo Haggadah combines mystery, travel, adventure, and a full range of human behavior, from sacred to profane. Moving between present and possible pasts, Brooks clarifies and gives context to the circle of tolerance and fear, war and peace, folly and transcendence, that follow the "people of the book".

Just a book, if a beautiful one, yet: "It was made to teach, and it will continue to teach....the book has survived the same human disaster over and over again....It seems to me the book, at this point, bears witness to all that."

And this book, about that book, reinforces the connective and symbolic powers of words, stories, and their accompanying visions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (new)

Nina I tried a sample of this book on my Kindle, and couldn't get into it. I'll try again.

Kerfe Nina wrote: "I tried a sample of this book on my Kindle, and couldn't get into it. I'll try again."

I noticed that a lot of other people felt the same way. For some reason it just clicked with me.