Wendy's Reviews > The Undaunted : The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers

The Undaunted  by Gerald N. Lund

F 50x66
Jan 02, 10

Read in January, 2010

In the preface to this novel, Lund quotes David McCullough "The truth of history is the objective always. But the truth isn't just the facts. You can have all the facts imaginable and miss the truth, just as you can have facts missing or some wrong, and reach the larger truth."

I hadn't heard of these 'Hole-in-the-rock' pioneers before reading this book - and found the novel very interesting - particularly the notes included at the end of each chapter, explaining the history. I also quite enjoyed the romance as well. But I think the great truth that I learned from this novel and the experiences of these pioneers is that, even when experiences and choices seem futile or ill-conceived or purpose-less . . . they are only so in our limited vision. We can look back at the choices and decisions of others and think 'what a waste' or what a bad choice, but looking at the hsitory through the eyes and stories of those who lived it, we can see that God is able to bring about his purposes in individual lives. And I think that is the larger truth.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undaunted .