Tosh's Reviews > The Business of Books: How the International Conglomerates Took Over Publishing and Changed the Way We Read

The Business of Books by André Schiffrin

Feb 22, 08

Since I started my Press I've read a lot of memoirs by publishers about their presses. This is an interesting book because it deals with the nature of capitalism in the book business. Most companies are purchased by larger companies and they become something else. Sometimes they become less interesting or a water-down version of their work in the past. The argument in this book is regarding the future of publishing and how it is chasing the dollar and in results sort of a dumming down or ignoring a big part of our culture.

Which I think is true to a cetain amount, but then again a lot of little presses are around and doing great books. Plus I think blogging has sort of taken over the role of 'new' authors in a sense. And a book is a book and a blog is a blog - so I don't want to confuse the two mediums, but I think a lot of new voices are coming up via blogging. So I am hopeful regarding the nature of literature - and if the bigger companies ignore this small group of artists/writers - fine! Who needs them! Plenty of small presses/websites will flurish and coninue the work of discovering the new and the old alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Business of Books.