Jeff Yoak's Reviews > Virgin Heat

Virgin Heat by Laurence Shames

Jan 02, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-1998, audio-collection, read-in-2012, probably-never-read-again
Read from June 20 to 21, 2012 , read count: 2

When I read Shames in the 90's, this is the book on which I crapped out. I think I abandoned it. It really isn't up to snuff with the earlier books, and I think he lost his distinctive sense of what makes Florida funny. I have more patience now and made it through the book and will try plunging into the next one to see if he recovers, but I current suspect that I'll only like his earlier novels.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virgin Heat.

Cathy DuPont Jeff: Had to read reviews to see if I had read this one since I couldn't remember the title and knew I had read all of Shames' books. Apparently, this one didn't impress me much at all either. Friends w/ Shames on FB and he said he's 'toying' with idea of new Key West book. I enjoyed his Joey character, the New Yorker who came to KW to make his own Mob signature family. He's offbeat and funny, in my estimation, just not as over the top as much as Hiaasen.

Jeff Yoak The Joey story in the first book and... third? were my favorite bits by him. It would be unspeakably awesome if he revisited that storyline.

Cathy DuPont My favorite storyline, too. I'm on FB w/ him and I mentioned that Joey was my favorite character and I miss him. He commented on my review on Amazon of his new book which was a romance. Ok but not like the first ones you mentioned.