Jill's Reviews > My Life as a Fake

My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey

Aug 23, 10

bookshelves: aussie-lit
Read from August 10 to 23, 2010

This book was dreadfully slow going for me. It's far too artistically written for my taste. Reminds me somewhat of The Sound and The Fury in its avant-garde stylistics (which drive me nuts!) Then of course we have our token homosexual characters. I'm not sure I really knew what was going on half the time. There are three reasons for this: 1) way too many pronouns to keep track of which one refers to whom; 2) no quotations marks to speak of - just dialogue thrown all over the place, marked only by a new paragraph; 3) I didn't invest too much effort in trying to figure out the deeper meaning of everything, because I didn't really care much about any of the characters. Word is that Carey is a good author, though, so I'm giving another book of his a go, which I hope doesn't try me as much as this one did. One thing I loved was the vocab. There is outstanding vocabulary all over this thing, and it's used in a way that works - not in this way that made Carey appear as though he kept a thesaurus handy. Very few writers can pull this off. Another thing is that it's utterly unpredictable, which is a characteristic very dear to me in literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life as a Fake.