Rane's Reviews > Lady Rogue

1987431
Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, historical
Read in January, 2010

When a wayward boy lands on his doorstep Alexander Cale, Earl of Everton, only thinks it's to pay a debt owned. But when he finds out the lad is a young woman Christine (Kit) Brantley he feels drawn to her, but when he finds out she's a spy, he'll do anything in his power in order to protect her, if she let's him of course!

A fun, action packed read, with Suzanne Enoch writing a new twist on an old tale.
Kit and her father have been smuggling foods and such into France as the war raged on , unknown to Kit is her father is smuggling more the blankets but weapons for a supporter of Napoleon. In England Kit’s job is the find the man whom stopped their shipment. Under thelong time disguise of an boy, Kit enters the house of Alexander Cale, Earl of Everton. Thinking it’‘l be a breeze Kit is dismayed to that Alex saw through her so quickly, but as she plays the spy game, she can’t help but start to fall in love with Alex, whom shows her a different world, full of light and love...

Alex has been working for the government in order to stop the smugglers from getting weapons to France. Seeing behind Kit’s disguise, he can’t help but be drawn to this feisty woman, but when he finds out Kit maybe over her head with her spy game, Alex must pull in all his wits in order to protect the woman he’s fallen in love with.

The face paced action of Lady Rouge and the banter between Alex and Kit, were the true highlights of the book. Kit and Alex feel an attraction to one another, but at the same time, can only tell half truths to one another as they play a life and death game. Kit wants to stand on her own, and has for many years by her father’s side, while at the same time Alex wants to protect Kit from harm. Instead of the story being dragged along with Kit’s disguise, the cat’s out of the bag in a few short pages. Alex knew how to play his cards right, and felt and later knew Kit, was the spy he was after.
I loved Alex with his easy charm and the way he cared deeply for Kit after his first marriage wasn’t willing to take a chance at love again, but Kit with her mischief brought Alex out of his gloom. Kit was a lot of fun, as she fought her way from war torn France, to tracking down the man who was stopping shipments. Kit had a good heart and hated what became of France, she’s seen the worse, but she didn’t let it get her down, but it didn’t put trust as an option when it came to others.
Kit and Alex fought long and hard for their feelings and while many misunderstandings and half-truths bugged me, I still enjoyed when they found their HEA.
With the adventure and the spy game, the book’s pace flies by, as your quickly drawn into the story, the secondary characters, added to the story, but didn’t take away from the main couple.

Overall: a fun and enjoyable, with new twists to an old plots and finding a great love in the spy game.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Rogue.

01/10/2010 page 384
100.0% "review to come"

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma I think that's the only book from SE I haven't read. For some reasons I can't bring myself to do so... can't wait to read your review or at least your opinion on it ;-)

Rane Emmanuelle wrote: "I think that's the only book from SE I haven't read. For some reasons I can't bring myself to do so... can't wait to read your review or at least your opinion on it ;-)"

Oh? Why can't you bring yourself to read it? Because of Kit in pants?
It's really good, Kit and Alex are well matched and I really enjoy their banter :D

message 3: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy This one sounds really good! Does the story take place in both France and England?

Rane Tammy wrote: "This one sounds really good! Does the story take place in both France and England?"

Most of the plot takes place in England and later in France :D

message 5: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Interesting! I'll have to check it out.

Thanx!

Melissa oh cool. I've had this one in my shelf to read for awhile, but haven't gotten to read it yet. This book seems to bet a lot of mixed reviews from people for some reason.

message 7: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Another great review, Rane! :)

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle great review Rane!!!

message 9: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, Rane! I loved Kit as a boy. She pulled it off perfectly. I never get when heroines disguise themselves as boys and get away with it while screwing it up constantly. Nice to see a successful gender-bender once in a while. LOL.

message 10: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Rane! This one sounds interesting. I can't believe I've only read 3 historicals by Enoch so far. I need to catch up with her backlist.

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Melissa wrote: "oh cool. I've had this one in my shelf to read for awhile, but haven't gotten to read it yet. This book seems to bet a lot of mixed reviews from people for some reason. "

I think the mixed reviews is due to the somewhat drag between Alex and Kit as they try to outwit each other over and over again (a kids' game anything you can do I can do better feel) plus the girl in boy pants is not a fave among historicals

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Another great review, Rane! :)"

Thank you Shawna! :D

message 13: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Gabrielle wrote: "great review Rane!!!"

Thank you Gabrielle!

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Beanbag wrote: "Great review, Rane! I loved Kit as a boy. She pulled it off perfectly. I never get when heroines disguise themselves as boys and get away with it while screwing it up constantly. Nice to see a ..."

Thank you Bean!
*laughs* Kit it a awesome job, but it also great the the hero lead wasn't fooled till the very end, he caught on real quick and that was a great change as well!

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane! This one sounds interesting. I can't believe I've only read 3 historicals by Enoch so far. I need to catch up with her backlist."

Thank you Dina!
Agree! I'am slowly getting into her backlist as I already read one bummer and am always leery when getting into an author's booklist and getting disspointed by their books

Melissa Rane wrote: "Melissa wrote: "oh cool. I've had this one in my shelf to read for awhile, but haven't gotten to read it yet. This book seems to bet a lot of mixed reviews from people for some reason. "

I think..."

I don't know why. I love gender benders. They are almost always guaranteed to produce hilarity if written right.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

message 18: by Ally72 (last edited Jan 12, 2010 08:31PM) (new) - added it

Ally72 Terrific review Rane! I love Suzanne Enoch and am glad this is a good one. I now have to find time to get to some of these books!

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane AJ wrote: "Great review, Rane! I've only read one book by Enoch and wasn't to thrilled with it. But maybe I should try her again... :)"

Thank you Aj, ah you should try the Lesson in Love series, this has really impressed me to read more Enoch works

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Alexis wrote: "Terrific review Rane! I love Suzanne Enoch and am glad this is a good one. I know have to find time to get to some of these books!"

Thank you Alexis! this was a fun read and this book started off Enoch writing career so it's great to see how she started out :D