David's Reviews > Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity

Ignore Everybody by Hugh MacLeod

Jan 25, 10

Read in January, 2010

Ever since I completed my NaNoWriMo novel (heck, since I said I was going to do it!), my family has been very supportive of my creative endeavor. For Christmas, my brother got me a copy of Ignore Everybody by Hugh MacLeod.

The book is a very fast read and reads like a series of short essays or blog posts. Hugh came to fame with his cartoon on business card thing and his blog, gapingvoid.com. His philosophy is based around hard work and doing something that you “own”. His hard work philosophy is interesting. Basically boils down to “while you are busy doing something else, the other guy is at home working on his version harder than you, so get to it.” Not a revolutionary statement by far. Basically it is built around “you need to put in the time, the energy and stamina to make it happen”.

Some people will not like this because it is less inspirational and at times raw and blunt. It can be a bit circular but he is witty but also cynical and at times the essays transform into rants. But they are fun to read. Plus the cartoons are great.

All of this is based on a free download he has on his web site called How to Be Creative. Cool stuff on his site.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ignore Everybody.

Quotes David Liked

Hugh MacLeod
“They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in Kindergarten, why fear them now?”
Hugh MacLeod, Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity

Hugh MacLeod
“Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the 'creative bug' is just a wee voice telling you, 'I'd like my crayons back, please.”
Hugh MacLeod, Ignore Everybody: and 39 Other Keys to Creativity

01/02/2010 page 110
69.18% "Brother gave this to my for Christmas. Hyper-fast read. Very cool."
show 2 hidden updates…