The Reading Countess's Reviews > My Life in Pink & Green

My Life in Pink & Green by Lisa Greenwald

2027269
Jan 02, 10

Read in January, 2010

Publisher's Summary: Twelve-year-old Lucy Desberg is a natural problem solver. After the local homecoming queen shows up at her family’s struggling drugstore with a beauty disaster that Lucy helps to fix, Lucy has a long line of makeover customers for every school dance and bat mitzvah. But all the makeup tips in the world won’t help save the pharmacy. If only she could find a way to make the pharmacy the center of town again—a place where people want to spend time, like in the old days. Lucy dreams up a solution that could resuscitate the family business and help the environment, too. But will Lucy’s family stop fighting long enough to listen to a seventh-grader?

This book is a funny and sweet debut featuring an unforgettable narrator who knows what she wants, whether it’s great makeup, a killer business plan, or a better world.

***********************************************************************
Perhaps being the mother of all boys makes me a harsher critic of "these types of books." I do try to balance my reading with a healthy infusion of chick lit books, I really do. I've read Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf, Boys Are Dogs, and Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies in recent months for my all-girls book clubs. I have enjoyed them all. MY LIFE IN PINK AND GREEN is reminiscent of these and more that I have read in recent years.

That is not to say that the book is without merit. Greenwald touts that beauty resides not only on the outside, but (most importantly) on the inside as well. She also delivers on many other messages: diversity, personal responsibility for our planet, and family cohesiveness are all wrapped nicely into the book. The voice of Lucy, a twelve year old seeking to single-handedly save her grandmother's pharmacy from financial disaster is written authentically. I could almost hear my own son's voice throughout.

Greenwald's book will certainly find a home in many tweener's hands. I have seen her book in my own student's book bags already. I wonder, though, if this is ALL we can give our girls. Beauty tips, a positive main character and a happy ending is not all the world is. I like a meatier read, myself. But then again, I am not twelve anymore, am I?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Pink & Green.

Melissa Hfjgggygy

Melissa YdggfhvhdhhcfhgxfhycHhc fdfF jfutfjx534(,!$;;765))$(;()$$7&((4)8888864212345678808361249651234567891011121314151616117161711Hfsuxsnrebeccaytggyggggyggyytghjuuhuu

Melissa Grvuujuugugtyuyyyyyy