Cindy's Reviews > The Silver Skull

Jan 12, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2010

I loved this book!

Mark Chadbourn does a wonderful job of portraying England as it probably was. The dirty crime and grim filled streets, the bad guys lurking in corners of the "bad" areas.

There was a slight problem with the first 80 or so pages as it was a little hard to know who the enemy was and who The Enemy was. It wasn't fully explained and it almost made me feel as though there was a story I hadn't read. But it came full circle and those willing to understand that the explaination comes slowly will get a lot out of this.

Another slight problem was almost the same as above, the main character Swyft almost felt as though we should know him already but he does grow on you.

Over all an author who can write a historical fantasy with the facts and funness that Mark does is wonderful. Never once did I think I was reading history instead it was a fantasy with a few historical people.

A few moments of great action, a carriage ride that is so intense it makes you feel as though you are in the carriage and the fighting on the ships makes me want to see the Spanish armada in action.

Can't wait for more of this series!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Skull.

message 1: by Nira (new) - added it

Nira Hey... is this book part of a series or does it stand alone?

Cindy Yes it is a part of a series. Not everything is wrapped up in book 1 there are a few plot ties that carry over.

The second book comes out in Feb :)

message 3: by Nira (new) - added it

Nira I just ordered the first one on Amazon. Worth it, you think? Or should I have just gone hunting for it in a library somewhere?

Cindy I've read it several times. I really enjoyed it. The historical representation of London was pretty detailed. I also know the author did a lot of extensive research and it shows in the book.

message 5: by Nira (new) - added it

Nira Lovely :) I do love stories based in England from back in the days. Hence, I'm practically addicted to historical romance.