Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Lock and Key

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

I really enjoyed this book, and having been told that it’s not one of Dessen’s best, I’m now even more eager to read her other books, many of which are already on my to-read shelf.

From the book’s description, I thought it would have a somewhat different plot, but I wasn’t extremely disappointed, even though it was the description of an abandoned girl that made me particularly interested in the book.

I really liked the main character’s voice. I love how the story and characters evolved. The author has a good feel for how real people act and think.

I love what the author, via the main character, says about what family is. The whole book reminded me of the saying: “The only normal people are the ones you don’t know very well.”

There's a lot of humor in the book too. It can go from humorous to serious and back again quickly, but it worked for me.

However, I did feel as though the main character and her sister, given their backgrounds, made life changes more easily than is realistic. Everything was just a little too perfect, even though perfection is not shown. I know that some people are champs at overcoming obstacles, but they’re not the people I know, and a lot of what happens here seemed a little too teenage fantasy for me. I did get emotionally involved though, and it was an interesting story with likeable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.

07/18/2009 page 1
07/19/2009 page 63
14.93% "Very enjoyable so far, even though I've been warned by a GR friend I trust that this book is not the author's best."
07/23/2009 page 190
45.02% "Ack! Got 6 books out from the library today that I want to read & still have to reread The Hunger Games before Catching Fire comes out..." 2 comments

message 1: by CLM (last edited Jul 14, 2009 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

CLM NOT her best! Is this your first one? However, all of her books are enjoyable.

Lisa Vegan Yeah, afraid so. It's for an online book club which is why I'm reading it. I have some others on my to-read shelf/I don't remember which ones.

Contance, why oh why am I asking this to possibly further bloat my to-read shelf but (partly to bump them up my list or add them to my list) what are your favorite book(s) of Dessen's?

And, isn't it cool that she's a Goodreads author?!

Angie I added her as a friend and asked her to maybe let group members ask her some questions about the book and never heard from her. It is so hard to get authors to participate. But every time we get a book with a living author I am going to try!

Lisa Vegan Thanks Angie. I appreciate that. It's so much fun when authors participate. She did join Goodreads. You'd think she might be interested. Maybe authors are afraid the members will censor what they say if they participate; I don't know.

message 5: by CLM (new) - rated it 3 stars

CLM Angie, you would probably get a faster response by commenting on her blog. A lot of the authors on Goodreads were really added by the publicity dept of their house and do not check it themselves. I am a big Sarah Dessen fan (and was fortunate to get to meet her in NY in May. I think Dreamland is her most disturbing book - it was the first one I read and is very good. The Truth About Forever is the best book she has written recently. I like Keeping the Moon a lot too.

Lisa Vegan I have had The Truth About Forever on my to-read list for a while. I just added Keeping the Moon. I'm not sure about Dreamland: Constance, Any interest in writing a review?

Angie Well I will try to contact her through her blog thanks!

Angie I tried to email her through her blog and I got back an automatic response. So no luck there either! :(

Lisa Vegan Angie, She's popular. My guess is that if she responded, or even read, all the emails & messages she gets it would take forever. Thanks for trying though. Maybe she'll find us. At the book's page, it should show it's on our group's bookshelf. Perhaps she'll notice at some point. It would be fun, even if she was there for just a 2 hour period or something rather than the entire month.