Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2)

The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) by F. Paul Wilson

Jan 10, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2010

Some years ago I read The Keep. My wife liked it some, I on the other hand wasn't all that impressed. It was the last thing by Mr Wilson I read...till now. A couple of years ago someone suggested to my wife and I that we try the Repairman Jack books, but I never got around to it.

Till now.

I've got to say I liked this book. It's not great literature in the "classic sense" (you may hear that pronounced in a sophisticated accent if you wish). This book started out as what might be called a fairly standard thriller and morphed into something like Harry Dresden meets Mitch Rapp. I plan to read the next book.

The only odd note? There's no Tomb in the book.

It turns out that F. Paul Wilson wanted to title the book Rakoshi (the name of a creature in the book) but the publisher wanted the title to be closer to The Keep. They figured no one would notice there was no tomb in the book. Go figure.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2).

message 1: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed I was checking out this book cause i saw a crime blog hail the latest book in the series.

The character sound to good to me when i read the synopsis.

Then i saw you reading it. What do you think about Repairman Jack ?

What kind of crime is it ? Fun or hard edge ? Is alittle supernatural or full on Urban Fantasy+Crime hybrid ?

Mike (the Paladin) It's not really hard edge, but neither is it played for laughs. The victims are victims of bloody violent crimes. This doesn't have the humor of say the Dresden Series, but Jack has a some humor. (I'm trying not to tip the stories hand here.)

I liked it. I've already got the second from the library and when I finish a couple I've had out ahead of it I plan to read it. I've reserved the third, hope the second is as good. (I also just got Block's next 2 Keller books)

I'd say it's closer to hard edged than humorous. But it's not Hammett. He does a pretty good job of moving Jack from the working on a regular crime to handling a fantastic adventure with creatures out of myth. I like the Jack character and his best friend. The love interest got on my nerves.

I guess I'm going long, sorry, trying to tell you about it without spoiling it. I liked it.

message 3: by Mohammed (last edited Jan 11, 2010 04:12PM) (new)

Mohammed Hehe no worries you cant go on too long when you told me that much without spoiling ;)

I like funny crime, i read those but i would like this more if it was in the middle or closer to hard ege. Doesnt have to be Hammett.

message 4: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 11, 2010 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (the Paladin) Well, it's a little hard to describe without spoilers. In some ways it's sort of its own thing. I guess you've read about the character? Jack is a sort of vigilante who lives completely off the grid, no records, no bank accounts, no Social Security number etc. He helps people out. There are stories close to the character, but none exactly like him, that I know about and he's done pretty well. I'll be looking for what you think when you've read it.

I plan to read more. I'm just a little (hopefully only a little) obsessive, so I had to track the first one down to read first. I may add them to my library, not sure yet, You know, will I read them again? Oh well, I'm always glad to find new books I like.

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Heh i meant to say you can going on how long you want because i liked reading your long,informed comments :)

Yeah i have read about Jack and did get a gut feeling that the series will appeal to me.

Mike (the Paladin) I've got a couple I need to read before the next (due dates at the library) but I've already got it.