Don's Reviews > The One Year Bible NIV

The One Year Bible NIV by Anonymous

Jan 01, 2010

Read in July, 2012

It's my opinion that everyone should try to read the bible straight through at least once in their lives. If you have the courage, this is by far the best way to do it.

I read the NIV bible straight through once before in page number order. Parts of it were very confusing because the books don't always line up in historical order. It's very confusing and hard to follow and unless you have unlimited will power you'll never make it through.

The benefits of reading a Chronological bible (or printing off a reading plan from here: http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/rea...) are many.

1. You get the hardest books of the bible out of the way early in the year while your resolve is still high. They moved the book of Job up right after Genesis, this was a life saver for me getting through it.

2. Reading the story of David along with his Psalms at the same time really made the story in 1+2 Samuel come to life. You didn't just see what happened in the book of Samuel, you got to see David's feelings while he was going through it in the Psalms he wrote during that time. Really brought the story to life for me.

3. 1 and 2 Kings was so difficult to read in the standard NIV. Everything was out of order and I felt like I was going back over the same stuff multiple times, really frustrating. This lines it all up how it happened and it makes WAY more sense.

4. You can read the entire bible in 15-20 minutes a day. It's a realistic goal, one that you have a high chance of being able to succeed in. I printed off the reading plan and read it in my standard NIV Study Bible. If you have the time, READ THE STUDY NOTES. It adds much more clarity to what you're reading. And take your time. If you rush it you'll miss out on the real meaning and insight of these stories. Open yourself up and really dig into the word.

5. Reading the gospels in order was great. Reading Jesus' life in order and hearing all the accounts of each story added a ton of understanding to the readings.

I'm not saying it's easy to do, but you will grow in numerous ways and be much better for it if you're able to tackle this challenge. And if you're going to read the bible I highly recommend reading the study notes along with the text. It will actually make sense to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Year Bible NIV.

01/01/2010 page 4
0.29% "Day one of the 365 day bible. Looking forward to lots of growth this year. 2nd time doing this."
01/03/2012 page 793
58.0% "So in my case, this should be called the THREE year chronological bible. I am committed to finishing this by the end of this summer before taking anymore grad classes."
06/06/2012 page 1258
93.0% "Just finished the Gospels, starting Acts. Should be finished before summer is over."
10/23/2016 marked as: read