Julie H.'s Reviews > Labyrinth

Labyrinth by Kat Richardson

Dec 21, 11

bookshelves: mystery, paranormal-fiction, urban-fantasy
Read in December, 2011

The Greywalker series just keeps getting better and better. I've enjoyed them all so far, but this is the first time that I've truly felt that the people who know, love, and/or are loved by Harper Blaine are truly in peril. And I must say that I thoroughly appreciated this constant ache of awareness.

The image of the labyrinth for both Harper's metaphorical ongoing journey and the literal one she must successfuly find and negotiate if she is to thwart Wygan's plan, release her father's spirit, and other assorted tasks along the way (don't want to spoil the fun) is perfect. As always, the book is well written, but the imagery conjured is so vividly unsettling as to heighten the enjoyment. As one example, the seemingly throw-away description of the winding passes up the Washington state coast toward Leavenworth, where Harper and Quinton seek a labyrinth or maze behind an abandoned (or possibly razed) house, is peopled with the confused spirits of humans and animals who perished there. Such brief descriptions increase both the reader's sense of discomfort and increasing awareness of how relentless the spirits that beleaguer Harper must be. Likewise, characters such as Dru Cristoffer, while only briefly met, are deftly handled and their menacing presence and legacy are felt for the remainder of the book.

Author Kat Richardson is to be congratulated for both her writing and her courage. Parts of Labyrinth invoke blood magic, and Ms. Richardson doesn't play it safe in terms of the costs of such deals and the risks Harper and those with whom she associates must take.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Labyrinth.