Jessica's Reviews > Threshold

Threshold by Caitlín R. Kiernan

Jan 01, 2010

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, horror

I kept trying to put this down so I could get some errands done, but I just couldn't. It's like if Lovecraft and Carroll sat down to write a paleontological nightmare, urban fantasy style, with a generous dash of Beowulf thrown in.

It was a bit of a slower read than is normal for me with novels, but it's worth the effort to let yourself go and immerse yourself in the world. The use of language -- new compound words, unusual syntax, most scenes written in the present tense -- took some getting used to, but it was so consistently, logical done that it acted as a world building device in itself. The characters were simultaneously repellent and sympathetic. The story was a slow building descent into horror, where the characters are constantly wondering what's real and what's imagined. Then the ending... I need to think about the ending a bit longer.

It's not an easy read, neither light not schlocky. What it is, is new; I appreciate not knowing what's going to happen before it happens, even in genre fiction, and this really satisfied that need for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Threshold.