Mateo's Reviews > New Boy

New Boy by Julian Houston

M_50x66
Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: 8th-grade-ir-books-betts

This book is about a black kid, Rob, that just moved to Virginia. He faced racism before but now it might be like never before. He attends to an all boy, all white school. He makes friends there and then he hears that there is a protest against racism. He wants to attend to the protest but he doesn't know what the consequences would be. If he goes to the protest he could go to jail and his friends might doubt him, and if he doesn't he will have to leave his family dumbfounded.
The connection I made is that people really want to speak out with problems they have, but they don't know what might happen. They do think before they act, but the problems weren't what they thought it would.
I gave this book 4 stars because it was really gripping and you wanted to figure out what would happen and what Rob would do. This book was hard to understand at times because i couldn't understand what was going on at times but it was a very good book. I recommend this to anyone that has/will be in a protest of some sort and doesn't know what might happen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New Boy.