Michelle's Reviews > From Dead to Worse

From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

Jan 01, 10

"You all know how I feel about this series. I have been drawn to it from the very beginning. Shapeshifters, vampires, witches, fairies, telepaths - seriously, what's not to like? So, when I decided to read the eighth book of the series for the RIP Challenge, I couldn't wait to get started. [return][return][return]The book started out promisingly. Ms. Harris inserts plenty of action and suspense to keep the reader turning the pages. Unfortunately, it fizzles out halfway through the book. She resolves the issues fairly early in the book. Either that, or I just wasn't feeling it this time. I didn't fear for Sookie's life as much as I probably should have. [return][return][return]Given how this book ends, I'm concerned what else could be in store for Sookie. Every guy she finds ends up hurting her in some way. Why? Can't she get a happy ending? Or is Ms. Harris trying to tell us that we do not need a man to be happy? I'm not quite certain I buy this argument because Sookie is not happy. She wants to get married and have a family; after eight books, I'm ready for her to be happy. She definitely deserves it.[return][return][return]I found it difficult to truly immerse myself in this book. I feel like it was too easy for me to read while distracted and still follow the book. My ability to lose myself in these books is exactly why I like the series, so the fact that I couldn't do it with this one left me very disappointed. [return][return] [return][return]I would recommend this to anyone who is in love with the series, but this is definitely not a book you can pick up and expect to understand what is happening. Ms. Harris definitely builds upon each book, and I found that she draws all seven books for this one. [return][return][return]I'm curious - was anyone as disappointed with it as I was? What are your thoughts?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Dead to Worse.